1/27/2015

Podencos, podenco mixes and galgo mixes




Everybody knows about the galgo problem, there are so many orgs telling us about the problematic of the galgos, that a lot of people now are adopting them , what is absolutely awesome but at this moment I want to explain about other hunting dogs other sighthounds and these are the podencos, the problematic of the podencos is quite similar to galgos, they are used for hunting, honestly in our area we don’t have a lot of them so is not familiar for me how they use these dogs, but what is familiar is how they kill them, the ways how to kill a podenco are more or less the same like galgos, they are hanged ……..so in my humble point of view if we can feel sorry for galgos, we must feel sorry for the podencos.
There are many kind of podencos, little by little I am knowing more and more, but I need still a lot to learn, in my area the most common are podenco Portuguese short hair or long hair , in fact we have plenty of them, and of course all the crosses that you can imagine, they are adorable at least some of them, the rough hair ones are a little bit noisy but nothing serious, while I was walking among the kennels, I could see in one of the kennels one of them and I really fell in love with her, she was jumping and trying to get my attention and she got it, I am going to try to foster her until she gets adopted, at this moment we are rescuing many podencos and I must say that I feel really good doing it, before we were not rescuing so many , only because they are difficult to rehome but it was something that was bothering me for a long time, why galgos yes and podencos not if at the end the suffering is the same so now I am lot more happy but we have a problem because they need homes, but not only the podencos when we rescue them many times we rescue podenco mixes so if pure are really difficult to rehome mixes are really impossible, or maybe not as I am sure that inside your heart there is a space for them, mainly now that we are rescuing many of them, there are many orgs for galgos but podencos don’t have a chance. Will you be their chance?
Ibizan hounds are really rare here, magnetos are from Andalucía and we are also getting some, so you have plenty of choices in Scooby for choosing a podenco so please next time think about that carefully, they also deserved a good home.
Kisses , licks and hugs from all us, galgos for adoption , all the other dogs and cats also for adoption and all our animals from the sanctuary ahhh and Don’t forget to donate today without your help nothing is possible. Fermín